Kevin, Michelle and the team welcome you to The Anchor Inn at Wingham. Whether you are a returning customer or a new face, our aim is to provide a warm welcome, good quality Food Wines and Ales and prompt efficient service at prices that are affordable and offer very good value for money. We don’t pretend to be a Gastropub, we are a traditional Pub Restaurant that serves traditional Pub Food as you will see from the Menu.
The starting point of any delicious meal is good quality fresh ingredients. We use locally sourced and locally grown produce, it is all fresh, (the only frozen veg we use are peas) most of it grown in and around Wingham and sourced from; The Whitemill farm Shop in Sandwich and Wingham Country Market. Our meats are supplied by Mark Williams (Preston Butchers) and Bread is supplied by Wilmshursts Bakers, just down the road, we are proud to work with our local suppliers and strongly believe in supporting the local economy.
Since starting our food offering in November 2012 we estimate that we have served over 40,000 meals, our kitchen team has grown to 2 full time Chef’s and 2 part time Kitchen Porters.
Ian most recently worked at The Black Pig in Barnsole where he was Head Chef for 3 years before joining the team here at The Anchor. He has built an excellent reputation for his innovative cooking skills, previously he has worked at The Tuns at Staple House and The Red Lion at Stodmarsh. Ian’s Sunday Lunch already has a large following here at The Anchor with up to 90 covers being served on a Sunday. He creates some really excellent and Imaginative dishes for our Specials Board. Gravies and Sauces are other areas in which Ian excels.
Martin worked at Cullens Yard as an underchef and went on to work as a Chef at Jacks in Dover, Chaplains and more recently at the Fleur di Lys in Sandwich. Martin has developed into an exceptional Grill Chef, try one of our Steaks or Burgers and you’ll see what we mean. Martin also specialises in Pastries and Desserts, Martin is a key member of the team and champions food safety and compliance in our busy kitchen.
The Anchor Inn History
The Inn known as The Anchor was built during the reign of Charles I (1625 – 1649) in the year 1645.
Records show that it was originally two farm cottages, part of a larger estate. Extensive works were carried out in the early eighteenth century and the two cottages were made to form one. It was during this period that the house became an ‘Ale House’.
‘Ale Houses’ became popular in the eighteenth century, though they are recorded as far back as 1200. Their popularity was due to the vast growing number of small independent breweries opening up all over Kent who sought extra outlets to retail their ales and ciders.
By the mid eighteenth century, greatly improved highways, faster coaches and the steady growth of a regular postal service brought about the needs for a stage post house in Wingham. The site of the ‘Ale House’, now The Anchor, was chosen, and a stage post room was set up where mail was collected and sorted before being taken by post boys to outer lying areas.
To accommodate the post boys a room on the first floor of the Inn was sectioned off into cubicles and fitted with small cot beds. There the post boys would remain until called upon to carry out their duties. Each was supplied with a post sack and post horn.
In 1760, a licence was granted and the house became The Anchor and a sign duly hung. The significance of the sign and the anchor dates back to the Pilgrim Fathers and is a religious sign of hope.
The first recorded landlord of The Anchor was one John Puttock, a farmer of the parish of Wingham.
The inn today gives out the same generous glow of warmth and hospitality that it has done for over two centuries, so stay, enjoy the fare and reflect on those bygone days.